HUB6

From HUB
Jump to: navigation, search

Sign up here if you plan to attend!

What and how? Meet fellow bioinformaticians in Heidelberg to discuss Seeing in the Dark - how can bioinformatics help to detect things we don't see?

When? Thursday 16th May 19:00

Where? Grabengasse 3-5, Building 2170, Groundfloor, Hörsaal 4a

Who? A team of people working at several different life-science organisations within Heidelberg are organising HUB, with your help (just get in touch or add your comments to this page).

Social media

Programme

19:00 Welcome & introduction
19:15 Split in to groups / world cafe.
20:30 Regroup to summarise discussions for everyone.
20:45 Final discussions
21:00 To the pub (Marstall).

Participants

  1. Aidan Budd, EMBL
  2. Matthew Betts, Uni Heidelberg
  3. Jon Fuller, HITS gGmbH
  4. Matt Rogon, EMBL
  5. Jean-Karim Heriche, EMBL
  6. Beifei Zhou, HITS gGmbH
  7. Damien Devos, COS
  8. Th. Soldatos, MH
  9. Fernando Izquierdo-Carrasco, HITS gGmbH
  10. Abdul-Mateen Rajput, Uni-Bonn
  11. Maria Secrier, EMBL
  12. Clemens Lakner, EMBL
  13. Agnes Hotz-Wagenblatt, DKFZ
  14. Franziska Lorbeer, DKFZ
  15. Michael Eichenlaub, COS
  16. Grainne Kerr, DKFZ
  17. Richard Henchman, HITS gGmbH
  18. J.Carlos González, COS
  19. Ibai Irastorza Azkarate, COS
  20. Fernando Gutierrez, COS

Organisers

Task List

A list of tasks that need to be done on or before the meeting day. Just sign your name to say that you'll do a task, and the same again when the task is done.

To arrange before evening Person responsible Done
Organising warm up excercise none this time
Gifts (bottles of wine) - no talks this time Matt
List of registered people Clemens
Signs to help people find the room Grainne
Drinking Water and Cups Matt
Stationary and stickers Adam to give them to Clemens
Booking pub Clemens to check if Marstall is available Clemens
Ordering beer for evening Matt
Treasury duties Matt
Print and display poster where relevant
  • Bioquant - Matt
  • DKFZ - Gideon
  • EMBL - Maria
  • ...
Maria (for EMBL)
Advertise on meetup.com cancelled Maria
Advertise on linkedin Matt Matt
Camera Grainne
Beamer no talks this time Matt
Send reminder email Matt/Damien Damien
To do on the evening Person responsible Done
Collect talks on laptop no talks this time Matt
Open the room Jon
Arrange room (tables/chairs) Grainne (can help)
Hang up signs to the room Grainne
Setup and welcome attendees Maria
Setup AV equipment no talks this time Matt
MC/Chair the meeting Damien
Direct attendees to the pub Clemens
Return crates of empty beer Matt
Tidy and close room Jon + everyone.

Planning Meetings

Tuesday May 7, 2013

Agenda

  1. Finalise programme
    1. Decide on warm-up exercise, and who will run it.
    2. Select topics for main discussion. Any new ones?
    3. Still going with a world cafe, or has anyone come up with a new format?
    4. Any flash talks?
    5. Roland Eils still OK to talk?
  2. How has the twitter account been going? Will we have an official tweeter for HUB6? Should we advertise this in the reminder email (may be interesting to people who can't make HUB6)
  3. Volunteer for / assign tasks
  4. Decide date for HUB7, and/or HUB6.5 (another barbecue?)

Minutes

  • Present: Matt, Clemens
  • HUB6
    • Damien is away at the moment but Matt spoke to him yesterday by email and he said he is still happy to MC the meeting ( introduce the topic and the subjects, start off the discussions, and chair the summary at the end).
    • Decided we don't need a warm-up exercise as we will go straight in to the World Cafe after Damien's intro, unless someone has an idea they want to try.
    • No flash talks this time as none have been contributed
    • Assuming Roland Eils is still OK to talk.
    • No 'official' tweeter so far.
    • Clemens will organise timekeeping for world cafe.
    • Task list updated. We added Jon to open and close the room only because he organised the booking and knows what we need to do. Please delegate to someone else if you like.
    • Arrive at 18:30 on the 16th to organise the room.
  • Post-HUB6 - another barbecue would be good.

Tuesday April 9, 2013

Agenda

  1. HUB5
    1. What worked?
    2. What didn't?
    3. Status of games post-HUB5 game? Worth encouraging more progress?
  2. HUB6
    1. Select topic
    2. Select lead organiser
    3. How to organise the evening, eg. 'World Cafe'?
    4. Programme
      1. Roland Eils to give an intro to bioinformatics at DKFZ
      2. Flash talks too?
    5. Task list
  3. Any other business

Minutes

Present: Damien, Katja, Maria, Grainne, Jon, Gideon, Aidan, Adam, Matt. Minutes taken by Matt.

HUB5
  • status of games
    • cards and stuff for 'call my bluff' to be written in a week or two, over pizza or something.
    • 'infection of a cell' - probably too complex to develop
    • 'coding' - Maik and Aidan keen to have a go at this, maybe in a couple of months time
  • venue
    • a bit small
    • layout isn't flexible
    • quieter than Marstall (a good thing)
    • good as an alternative to the uni when that isn't available (worth it to avoid long gaps between HUBs)
    • Jon will add the uni rooms link on the wiki, so that we know when they are available.
HUB6
  • Roland Eils still to talk, for ca. 10mins. Gideon to give him a clear briefing of what to talk about.
  • Flash talks
    • Jon will probably suggest one
    • one is probably enough
  • Topic
    • More sciency is good, to make a change from the last two.
    • Damien proposed 'seeing in the dark' - how bioinformatics can help you to see what is otherwise invisible. We decided to go with this for HUB6.
    • Some subtopics to be decide beforehand, to be listed on the main HUB6 page (i.e. above, perhaps copied from the suggestions for future HUBs page) and opened up for other contributions.
    • These subtopics will be discussed briefly at the start of the night, for refinement and additions.
  • Our default format for the evening will be a 'world cafe', but we will investigate other formats before then and decide which to go with.
    • ca. 1hr = 15 mins per topic with two changeovers (i.e. each person in three discussions), with 15 mins for intro and wrap-up.
    • could be split in two, with a flash talk or Roland Eils talk in the middle.
  • Do we need a way to continue things after HUB6 (cf. HUB3 paper), to give people motivation?
    • a publication - this may get stale if we do it every time, both for the participants and for the journals.
    • more focussed on specific points that come up, not on the whole meeting, resulting in specific problems being addressed (small projects, eg. coding)
    • come up with statements for ideas/problems to be solved, then video these at the end.
    • if something comes out that's good, but fine if there's just a discussion on the night.
    • we could simply say that the aim is to stimulate ideas. eg. Damien has a student starting on a three-month project inspired by HUB3.
    • not everything has to end in a paper or a project
    • anything post-HUB will always requires effort by someone who is motivated
  • warm-up / ice-breaker
    • something centred around collaboration?
    • speed-dating in a circle, starting with someone you don't know well, then moving round.
    • ca. 15 mins total
  • (very) rough schedule: warn-up, flash talk, world cafe part 1, Roland Eils talk, world cafe part 2.
  • Damien to lead the organisation of HUB6, including the HUB6 page (with help from everyone else).
  • HUB6 poster - Matt to do
  • we're open to meeting again before HUB6, if only just to check that everything that needs doing has someone to do it, but not definitely required.
Any other business
  • summary page after each HUB
    • easiest on the wiki
    • may need someone not directly involved in the discussion on the night, and of course someone who wants to do it. Adam volunteered, at least initially. We may be able to recruit others in the future.
  • social media
    • should have a twitter account - Jon and Gideon to look in to this, then describe on the wiki.
      • Matt to look at embedding it in the wiki (should be easy)
      • need an 'offical' tweeter
    • a future HUB could be on using social media, especially at conferences, even if just as a flash talk.
    • intro to editing the wiki would be good, but again no time for it this time
    • a more modern www.hub-hub.de would be good, i.e. not mediawiki, eg. using wordpress and incorporating blogs, commenting through facebook (or whatever social media people are already using)
    • all of these need someone with the time, skills and motivation to do them