Sign up here if you plan to attend!
Get involved in organising this and other HUBs!
What and how? Something gitty (followup to HUB7, The technical side of collaborative working - how to keep track of documents & file versions
When? Thu, 23rd January, 18:30
Who? A team of people working at several different life-science organisations within Heidelberg are organising HUB, with your help (just get in touch or add your comments to this page).
Please add yourself to the list of participants by editing the list below. Also bring your laptop, if you want to participate and indicate which Operating System you're running on your laptop (Windows, Mac, Linux). This will help us to gauge interest and to contact you with more details of the meeting.
If you want to participate in the practical part (which you should), please install git on your laptop; you'll find download links below. In case you have any problems in installing any of the software, just come 30minutes earlier, and we will help you set it up.
- git for Windows: http://www.git-scm.com/download/win
- git for Mac: http://www.git-scm.com/download/mac
SourceTree (a graphical user interface for git):
- Windows/Mac: http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download/
List of participants:
- Holger Dinkel
- Jon Fuller
- And you?... get in touch, come to one of the planning meetings, or just get involved!
A list of tasks that need to be done on or before the meeting day. Just sign your name to say that you'll do a task, and the same again when the task is done.
|To arrange before evening||Person responsible||Done|
|List of registered people|
|Ordering beer for evening|
|Drinking Water and Cups|
|A4 signs in plastic envelopes to help people find the room|
|Create the poster|
|Print and display poster where relevant||
|Advertise on linkedin|
|Send reminder email|
|To do on the evening||Person responsible||Done|
|Open the room|
|Arrange room (tables/chairs)|
|Hang up signs to the room|
|Setup and welcome attendees|
|Bring extension cables (for all the laptops)|
|Bring tape to fix cables|
|Setup AV equipment|
|Help people with setup of their laptops|
|MC/Chair the meeting|
|Chair the Standing-on-a-line warmup|
|Chair the initial discussion|
|Tidy and close room|
Thursday Dec 12, 2013
- Time 14:00, at EMBL
- Informal meeting between Jon & Holger
- Brief outline of things to do:
- Try to repeat/followup on HUB7: using git for collaborative work
- This time, it might be better to run through a "scripted workflow" using 3-6 Participants (really Organizers) to show different features of git/workflow
- using the GUI as well as commandline?
- Use one or more RaspberryPi(s) to create connectivity
- possibly use multiple individual shares for individual groups to avoid problems?
- Use USB sticks as fallback
- Test the setup/script in January (doodle?)
- Provide git cheatsheet