PlanningMeetings

From HUB
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

2017: new year, new HUBs

Meeting to plan some HUBs for 2017.

  • Date: Wednesday Feb 1, 2017
  • Time: 18:00 - 19:00
  • Place: Cafe Fresko

Their are various ideas floating around, eg gender diversity and other ideas. Let's meet and choose some.

Machine Learning, Monday 17th October, 2016

  • Time: 08:00
  • Place: upstairs in Macaronnerie
  • In attendance: Matt, Gurdeep, Tobias, Toby H and Samo

Experience from ipython / jupyter HUB at BiomedX

  • intro to basics of python
  • pair programming
  • installation of necessary software before the event was not a problem, either by people themselves or with help before the HUB
  • wifi capacity was sometimes an issue
    • may have been for those people who needed to acces tools 'in the cloud' (i.e. constant connection)
    • should be OK if all tools are preloaded (inc. in to the browser)
  • participants were ca. 50% programmers, and pairs were shuffled at half-time

Tools/systems we could use for activities

  • Tensor Flow
    • very visual
    • might be too hard for an introduction
    • does not yet work on Windows (according to wikipedia)
    • Playground app (neural net) is web-based and good for first exposure
  • XOR has numbers...
  • scikit-learn
    • python package for machine learning
    • documentation is very good, would be 'easy' to continue learning after the HUB
    • we should come up with a clear and reasonable objective of what we want people to achieve
      • perhaps using datasets supplied with scikit-learn (but Iris dataset is probably too small)
      • Samo suggested a leaderboard ranking people's progress during the HUB
      • scikit-learn has visualisation options - these will be good for making the whole thing more interesting
    • Gurdeep pointed out that non-programmers would probably spend most of their time learning programming rather than machine learning, if programming skill is necessary for the activities. Better to have pre-cooked scripts and then people would adjust the parameters trying to improve the fit etc. Visualisation tools would be essential for this. Could use example scripts from sklearn?
    • Toby H was involved with a Software Carpentry 90min intro to scientific computing, mainly using scikit-learn. He can share the Jupyter notebook they used for this.


Could start with web-based stuff then move to python.

Ice-breaker

Toby H suggested an ice-breaker on supervised and unsupervised learning / clustering and classifying. Everyone would be given a card with variables on one side and the class on the other side. People would be divided in to 'classifiers' or 'data', and data would be grouped by classifiers (unsupervised) or data would be split in to a training set and a test set and the classifiers would attempt to put the test set in to groups based on what they learned from the training set. Needs some work (and I might not be describing it well in these notes), and may take too long to do. Toby will look in to it.

Date, time and place

All provisional:

  • on Thursday december 8 (subject to other HUBs already planned and to room availability)
  • at BioMedX (Samo to check availability)
    • otherwise at BioQuant (Matt to check availability if BioMedX isn't possible)

Trip to Xmas market would be better on a different date, because of location and because at the Jupyter HUB some people stayed coding until 11pm... Perhaps after the AGM?

Sponsorship

  • BioMedX might be willing to sponsor drinks, like at the Jupyter HUB (Samo)
  • GSK might be possible too (Tobias)
  • otherwise denbi should work (Toby H)

Notes

  • Georg Zeller is happy to be involved, eg. giving a short talk
  • Tobias would like the topic to carry on beyond the HUB, as part of the meet-up he is organising. Possibly by (initially) trying to recreate recently published 'biology + deep learning' analyses. This could be brought up at the beginning of the HUB as partial motivation for the evening, and at the end.
  • Samo will open a channel on Slack. Further discussions will be on there or in person rather than in email.

Wednesday 23rd March 2016

  • Time 18.00
  • Place: Cafe Fresko
  • In attendance: Laura H, Toby H, Holger D, Matt B, Bronagh C

Gender diversity in bioinformatics

We discussed that we can't change science but we can make sure that HUB is a welcoming and supportive place. And that might help in the longer term more broadly.

We decided:

  • That we should look at HUB attendee/speaker lists in advance and see how we match up to the community.
  • That we should start the session with looking at the implicit bias tests available as part of project implicit.
    • We'll need to ask people to bring laptops for this.
  • We would have one presentation/panel from someone working in the area (perhaps someone on the Gender committee at EMBL about why diversity in science is important.
  • We could also have a teacher to discuss gender split at schools and how they are addressing this.
  • We can then break into groups to discuss ways to make HUB more welcoming, World Cafe style.
  • Suggestions can be collated into a set of policies/ideas for HUB to follow.
  • That this event will happen after the planned Biocuration HUB

There was some concern:

  • That we make sure this isn't just an 'event for women' but that everyone is included.
  • That people who might be nervous speaking publicly have a way to contribute and we discussed approaches such as anonymous polls before the event or a comment box.
  • That we are careful discussions are not derailed. It was suggested we talk to Aidan about best approaches here.

Next steps:

  • Laura is to discuss with the some gender groups within EMBL and get a speaker arranged.
  • Toby will talk to his wife (a maths teacher) about getting someone to talk about gender split in schools.
  • We should pull out as must data as we can re attendee/speaker breakdown and match this to statistics at PhD/Post-Doc/PI level as well as overarching community.
  • Place and time to be booked for one month(ish) after the Biocuration HUB.

Other ideas

We discussed some other ideas for future HUBs. These were:

  • E-learning platforms (we think Florian was planning one on this topic?)
  • Show and tell of favourite tools (Holger, before he leaves)
  • Peer review for Bioinformatics (Toby)
  • More opportunities for pair programming/helping each other out? (Toby)
  • HUB BBQ over the summer, ideally without so much rain this time.

Friday 26th February 2016

VizBi HUB

We decided:

  • start the evening with chairs organised around the sides of the room
  • advertise the event again next week, once we have a poster for the event
  • we won't offer participants to do without the 'optical illusion' exercise/talk, as we'll have invested already considerable time into preparing for this, and don't want to waste that - instead, we'll do that with the 'world map visualisation'
  • we will begin with Toby's 'optical illusion' talk, then do the optical illusion ice-breaker, then do Jan's talk, then do data visualisation activity
  • we won't offer groups the chance to show their visualisation to the whole room - rather, we'll ask groups, after they've done their 'show and critique to another group', to put their visualisation on display on a table/the floor/etc., and then leave one of their group with this, while others move around the other groups, looking at theirs.
    • the exception to this is that we'll offer the dance group the chance to perform in front of everyone, if they want to, at the end, as they can't constantly be doing their dance and look at other groups visualisations at the same time
  • Aim for 10 datasets, Florian will put these up in a github repo
    • We'll share datasets via link to the github repo, on memory sticks, and Aidan will also burn some CDs
    • We'll advise people that they are unlikely to have (much) internet access, so plan to do any computer visualisation without Internet
    • We decided to focus on datasets we find 'fun', particularly with a geographical component, rather than on making them biological
    • Ideas for datasets included cat movements, tube station (London) usage numbers


Other info:

  • we can probably use tables from other rooms for outside the room we do the unseminar in
  • the other seminar rooms probably also empty, in which case they too could be used during the data visualisation activity
  • Matt (this was inevitable, given he's the one who booked the room for us) will be responsible for recording the arrangement of tables and chairs before the meeting begins, so we can return the rooms to their original state afterwards
  • Florian will MC the evening
  • Agnes will bring masking tape (to attach things to the walls)

Future HUB topic - making bioinformatics jokes

Everyone liked this idea of Aidan's - he'll look to organise it sometime in the future

Thursday 28th January 2016

VizBi HUB to be coordinated by Florian

Icebreakers

Two ideas for icebreakers - perhaps we can try both of them? Given that we'd like the evening to be about finding ways to get people interacting, based somehow on ideas of data and visualisation, I think it'd be great if we could do both.

Ambiguous images

Provide participants with a list of 'ambiguous' images e.g.:

We could do this as:

  • handouts
  • online
  • posters around the room

We ask people to look through them, and try and spot alternatives. We ask them to do this in pairs/small groups, to introduce themselves to the other person/people before looking at the images, and compare what they see - are there any surprises? i.e. are there any things that one person sees that the other can't see at all? or only sees after the other one points it out.

Reflecting on this experience, and our interest in biological data visualisation, ask people to also see if there are any ideas/lessons linked to this, that could be relevant to how they represent their own data?

World map

In the centre of the room, we have Heidelberg - people position themselves around the room based on where their last international trip was to, they try and group themselves

This gives us a person-'drawn' visualisation of the recent travel of the people in the room - does it look anything like the world map? Our chance to be involved in our very own piece of data visualsation.

We hand out pieces of paper to clusters of people and ask them to write where they are (Boston, Japan, etc.) so we can see this on photos of the map.

Should we tell everyone coming to the event that we'll take photos, they should please only turn up if they're happy with them being shared (no names attached unless they say so)...?

Talks

We had a bunch of ideas for talks. I (Aidan) think this is now too many, we need to decide which we think are most important.

I think that a max of...? 25 minutes? total in the session should be given to talks, given we're going for an unseminar/unconference. Maybe:

How about:

- 3 flash talks, each 3 min (if no volunteers, could use some of the other ideas below in these slots...?) - Bang Wong (or similar) for 10 minutes - two of the other talks for 5 min

Introduction to principles of data visualisation

We will ask Bang Wong if he'd be happy to give a short introduction on this. If not, ask Sean, Jim, Bang (conference organisers) if they know someone who could.

We think it's important to include a talk on this topic, to give people something to reference and reflect on when doing the data vis exercises.

Bernd talking about using charts/stats to affect how we read perceive data

Bernd Klaus gave a short talk on this topic at a HUB last year. It was good. It fits with the VizBi topic. He's happy to do it again (Aidan asked him today). We'd like to include it.

Animation for data visualisation

Ask someone from Sean O'Donohugh's group to talk briefly about this - we all thought it'd be interesting to hear about any principles they've learnt while doing this.

Biology of optical illusions

Toby Hodges has given a talk on this before, would be up for summarising it. Fits well, particularly with the first warm-up exercise idea.

Sara talking about SourceData

Would be relevant for the unseminar topic, potentially also of the dataviz activity we're considering.

Flash talks

Invite anyone to talk for maximum 3 minutes about their biological data visualisation-related work

Visualisation data activity

Participants form small groups, in which they work together to visualise a set of data or ideas/processes/models using a range of different materials e.g.:

  • paper, pens, glue, sticky tape
  • clay/playdo
  • lego
  • dance (we ask Aidan's dance therapist friend and/or Marlene and/or Sara if they're up for helping lead this)
  • theatre (ask EMBL theatre club if they're interested in leading this?)
  • song (ask EMBL choir if they're interested in leading this?)
  • laptops
  • etc.

We provide them with some examples, but encourage them to try it out with their own data.

We tell them before the meeting that they could bring their own data, and we make available the examples (and what the exercise will be about) before

  • a workflow that is used by someone to run an experiment, or their whole project - aim being to make it as easy as possible for someone else to reproduce what they do
  • example data from a figure e.g. a western blot, together with a figure legend indicating how/why the figure is used in the paper - we could have a couple of examples of these
  • a table of 'model' data e.g. Toby talked about some car-related data

At the end of the session (20 min? 30 min?) groups find another group, show them their visualisation, and discuss ask what the main message they get from the representation, about the original data, is.

We could then:

  • do this again using different groups, so people get another chance to talk with different people?
  • try and do something clever about showing how reproducible the message from the data is... we discussed this, but not sure, now I write about it, how this would work...

We could try and do some filming of the event and/or photos that can then be shown during VizBi itself, maybe, so people who don't come along, can see what we got up to...?

Tuesday 10th November 2015

  • Time: 08:00
  • Place: Macaronnerie Heidelberg (Cafe Fresco, our planned meeting place, apparently now opens only at 09.00)
  • In attendance: Aidan, Holger, Florian, Agnes, Adam, Matt, Samo

iPython/jupyter HUB

Samo gave us an awesome demo of iPython notebook, using examples from the field he works in i.e. chemoinformatics.

We'll plan for a HUB using this as its core, probably for January, taking place in BioMedX, where we'll have reasonable WiFi access.

Current plans are to include in this:

  • an ice-breaker - maybe the 'classic' standing in a line/grid to describe our experience coding, which we can also use for teaming people up for later activities - a group of experienced coders goes to the part of the room where people haven't done any coding before, and we find experienced partners for each of them
  • a demo from Samo of iPython in this chemoinformatic context
  • maybe someone else demos something similar using a different language (R? Perl?)
  • pair-programming together, using examples from rosetta exercises

angle we'd use to publicise the event would be:

  • never coded before? come and try out coding with experts, to see what it's like
  • interested in seeing what iPython/jupyter can do? come along and check it out - especially if you're into chemoinformatics - note that similar stuff is available for other languages
  • chance to try out pair programming

For this, we'll ideally have a bunch of people joining the event who will bring their own laptops, have appropriate software set up and running, so that we have enough laptops to pair-program with everyone - if not, maybe we try doing it in groups of 3.

Samo, would you rather lead the organising of this, or have someone who's done that before lead it, in close collaboration with you (idea is to have one person who considers themself responsible for making sure the event works well - seems to work best when it's just one person who does that)?

I can do that, if you'd like someone else to do it - although *more* than happy for someone else to take that on (ideally someone with more knowledge of iPython etc. than me!)

Storytelling HUB

This is on - Adam will lead it - likely either 8th or 10th December - we're just waiting for info on which rooms we can get for it.

eLearning

Flo is keen to make this happen around February 2016 - that works best with his other work plans - we'll wait to see the dates of the other planned events, before fixing this

VizBi

We like the idea of doing something with us bringing data, asking people who come along to try doing their own visualisations of it using laptops, Lego, etc.

Also like the idea of doing something there with using dance to represent biological data.

Anyone want to lead this one? Based on the one last year, it's like to be big (we had almost 100 people there last time), so probably best if someone who's already led a few HUBs does this one. I'm happy to do it, but also very happy for someone else to do it.


Friday 17th July 2015

  • Time: 08:00
  • Place: Macaronnerie Heidelberg (Cafe Fresco, our planned meeting place, apparently now opens only at 09.00)
  • In attendance: Aidan Budd, Holger Dinkel, Florian Huber

HUB as an e.V.

HUB is now an e.V.! We need to understand ASAP what implications this has for how we organise ourselves. To do that, we want to read the relevant documentation, make a list of questions we have about this, and contact the Amtsgericht and Finanzamt about them. We'll ask the Vereinmitglied for their help and feedback about this

  • AIDAN will organise this

HUB survey

Only 10 answers so far, although already useful information in there.

We decided to send another mail around asking people to please fill it in

  • AIDAN will do this

Increasing numbers/participation of HUB organisers

Last HUBs have been successful - plenty of participants, and they've gone well. But the number of people meeting and planning to organise them is dropping.

We decided to mail the HUB organisers to try and understand from them, why they got involved, maybe that helps us understand what we can do to attract more participation

  • AIDAN will do this

We decided to ask Katja and Yuva (at EMBL) if we could meet sometime soon with them to think about ways of improving the 'marketing' of HUB

  • AIDAN will do this

We also decided to send a mail to the full mailing list saying "please get involved, HUB needs you" - lots of turnover in Heidelberg, so always need new people, can help by just asking new people to come along - it's not a commitment, put it on your CV."

  • AIDAN will do this

There's new Wordpress capabilities and design up on the HUB domain - we'll try and organise a group of us gathering one evening to port/write content for this CMS, with beer and pizza:

  • HOLGER and FLORIAN will organise this

Natasha and Aidan are organising an attempt to write a crowd-sourced article about what makes for a great open source bioinformtaics community, based on the unconference sessions they ran (with others) at BOSC

  • AIDAN will invite the HUB mailing list to get involved

Future HUB topics

- Doing a collaboration with Heidelberg Makers some time in October: HOLGER - VizBi and Software Carpentry tie-ins: AIDAN can do them, but happy for someone else to - Write a HUB-CUB article (about history, experience, etc. of making HUB and CUB happen): AIDAN can do this, but happy for someone else to

Wednesday 21st January 2015

  • Time: 08:00
  • Place: Cafe Fresco, Heidelberg
  • In attendance: Aidan Budd, Holger Dinkel, Thomas Wolf, Pierre Khoueiry, Florian Huber
  • Topics: Planning for HUB16

HUB16 OST meeting format

  • decided to split the OST "main" session into two parts, to mimic the fact that the meetings are usually longer and have that kind of structure
  • Florian interested to do the "open data" unseminar this year, if there's not a meeting in March, he'd do it then. Aidan will check whether the HUB/CUB planned then is still on: DONE Bronagh and Natasha are indeed planning the HUB/CUB for Thursday 24 March
  • Holger suggested, and we agreed it was a good idea, to have the basic "rules" of OST put up on the walls
  • we need to look into advice on what to do if/when people get to the point when their discussions are done/over and there are no longer any discussions they want to go into - are they encouraged to relax, or leave, or....? TO DO: AIDAN
  • (not discussed at the meeting but relevant for it so I put it in here) we again weren't sure where the "HUB Bag" was (the backpack with stationary, labels, pens, signs, etc. - in the future, we'll go for "the person who has it volunteers to bring it on in the to-do list for the next meeting, or finds someone else to do that"

HUB Verein meeting

We decided that if Aidan, Laura, and Matt aren't all there on Monday, then we do it as a normal Generalversammlung, and don't vote on who should be 1. 2. Vorstand and Treasurer, and find ideally another future HUB to do that in

DONE We can't all be there, so it's just a normal "Generalversamlung"

Several of us already signed up and paid for membership of HUB for 2015

Norwich unseminar

A former EMBL colleague, now head of training at an institute in Norwich, UK (TGAC) has invited Aidan, Adam, and Holger (former colleagues of hers) to run an unseminar out there in March

Tuesday 18 November 2014

  • Time: 08:00
  • Place: Cafe Fresco, Heidelberg
  • In attendance: Aidan, Bronagh, Holger, Florian, Agnes, Thomas Wolf, Matt, Adam
  • Topics: Planning for 2015

Minutes

  • flip charts and masking tape are needed for HUB15
  • Matt to make the HUB 15 poster
  • HUB 15 will finish at 8.30, so everyone can go to the Christmas on Kornmarkt

Ideas for HUBs 2015

  • 1. Open data/reproducible data. Florian, Iman. (Used for HUB18.)
  • 2. Statistics and Intuition; Matt, Thomas Wolf, Agnes. (Used for HUB19.)
  • 3. Storytelling in science; Adam, Iman
  • 4. Raspberry Jam; Holger
  • 5. Working with REST in bioinformatics and beyond; Holger, Xiaofeng, Pierre
  • 6. Open Space Technologies; Aidan. (Used for HUB16.)
  • 7. Choosing a collaborative project for HUB/CUB; Bronagh. (Used for HUB17.)

Wednesday 17th September 2014

  • Time: 08:00
  • Place: Cafe Fresco, Heidelberg
  • In attendance: Aidan, Laura, Bronagh, Holger, Florian, Thomas Schwarzl, Thomas Wolf, Iman, Matt, Xiaofeng
  • Topics: Planning for HUB13 HUB/CUB

Minutes

We decided:

  • Title for the event will be: "Bioinformatics: from Heidelberg to Cape Town"
  • We'll ask people to bring to the meeting:
    • Laptops
    • Headsets
    • Earphones if they've not got headsets
  • We'll do the show-and-tell session with just four laptops, one in each corner of the room, to reduce chances of feedback/interference/too much noise
  • We'll stick with the wiki for this HUB, so as not to be using something (WordPress) that we don't yet know our way around
  • For the speed-dating we'll try out the following technologies:
    • Skype text messaging
    • Skype video/voice
    • Google Hangout text messaging
    • Google Hangout video/voice
    • Piratenpad text messaging
    • did I miss anything...?

Tasks:

  • MATT will try and get laptops and/or headsets from BioQuant for the meeting
  • LAURA will look after setting up the IT stuff for the meeting (including Skype and Google accounts for the linkup)
  • LAURA will MC the intro
  • FLORIAN will check local wine shops, get a list of Cape wines, contact Gustavo and Natasha
  • FLORIAN will generally be in charge of soring
  • BRONAGH will organise snacks
  • ADAM will organise a poster with Table Mountain behind the HD hills as the image
  • AIDAN will organise the advertising/mailings:
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • Emails to EMBL and HUB list
  • BRONAGH will welcome people, give them badges etc.
  • MATT, JUAN, TOM will set up tables on the evening?

Who has the bag of HUB stationary?

Topics for the show-and-tell:

  • text editors
  • task manageres/project managerment
  • reference managers
  • getting advice and help
  • collaboration tools (wikis, document sharing, google etc.)
  • social media (tweetdeck)
  • open access stuff publishing
  • journals (expereince submitting papers, diffferent)
  • conferences, getting the best out of them, good ones/bad ones
  • community - how is it built
  • living in Cape Town cf: Heidelberg
  • BBQs Germany/CT
  • wine tasting

Friday 12th September 2014

  • Time 10:00, via Skype
  • In attendance: Matt, Aidan, Laura, Holger
  • Topics: Establishing HUB as a Verein, HUB/CUB planning

Minutes

We decided:

  • we will make changes to Satzung without another Generalversammlung, and hope that when we send the documents to the Gericht, the changes we made in the first Generalversammlung mean we're OK to not hold another one
  • we'll make all the changes (including the ones developed by Flo and Lucie); we're getting feedback from the court anyway, so let's use the chance to get them on this too
  • before sending to the court, Aidan will send the new version to the Finanzamt so we (hopefully) get again gemeinnutzlich status
  • Aidan will tell all Verein members, and all HUB organisers, about what we've decided
  • we'll aim to get digitized versions of all Verein documents (including letters from the court, and Finanzamt, on the HUB wiki for our own reference
  • Aidan will put the HUB/CUB program up on the wiki page, Laura/Bronagh will put it into the new form wordpress stuff if they have time


Friday 13th June 2014, 08.00 - 09.00

Cafe Fresko, Bismarkplatz Heidelberg, Germany

Present

Aidan, Holger, Jon, Bronagh, Pierre, Jean-Karim, Florian, Melanie, Iman, Laura, Majeet, Matt, Xiaofeng (add your name if I forgot you!)

We agreed:

  • Matt will organise a future meeting to discuss technical issues related to HUB internet "stuff"
    • a way of keeping track of (and documenting/preserving/displaying to everyone) conversations of organisers by email
    • moving to the new server
    • mixing wiki content with e.g. WordPress
    • using everbright (as used for Career Day) for registrations rather than signing up on the wiki...?
  • Aidan will mail around asking for ideas of ways of collaborating with Cape Town
  • Next HUB will be on July 8th focused on data management (Jon, Mel, Bronagh, Pierre, Flo, Xiaofeng)
    • we need IMHO one of you to take the lead/general coordinating responsibility for this - any volunteers?
  • we will not do an event on July 25th (when CUB have their next meeting) as that would be too short time between HUB events
  • to do again a HUB BBQ, Matt happy to coordinate that
  • we'll aim to do a HUB (HUB12HUB13) for Oct 1st/whenever the CUB event happens where Holger and Aidan are also there
  • If we have time, we'll encourage people we know elsewhere to start something up similar to HUB there, offering our support (as has happened in Cape Town)
  • Larura will contact people doing the women science wikpedia editing stuff
  • Florian volunteered to look for local events we could tie in HUBs with

Future HUB topics

We discussed topics for future HUB meetings given below. The list of topics we considered are given below, together with names of people who are going to look into developing them into a future HUB meeting. Once HUB12 has happened, we'll have a planning meeting and think about which/when how to schedule these.

  • Reproducible research (Flo, Jean-Karim)
  • UX (Aidan)
  • wikipedia challenge (something to do collaboratively - Laura suggests contacting women, and is happy to contact the people who do the women science editing stuff) (Laura)
  • train the trainer (Aidan)
  • big data (Jean-Karim, Flo)
  • useing agile/scrum methods/projevt managemetn for bioinformatics (Jon, Holger, Pierre)
  • open data (Iman, Xiaofeng, Bronagh)
  • moodle
  • soft-skills
  • working collaboratively (Iman, Mel, Holger)
  • "fundamentals of bioinformatics" - how do you test predictions etc (Iman, Majeet, Matt)
  • tools for dealing with post-translational modification (Matt, Jon)
  • open technology free-style (Aidan)
  • data-management, ways of organising our work - show-and-tell, productivity, JK has taught that before and could use to introduce (will be HUB12)
  • brainstorming for topics of collaborative software project - randomise trials for actually comparing (Majeet, Aidan, Jean-Karim)
  • how do you keep in touch with new developments in technology and the field
  • raspberry jam - playing with our raspberry pis (Matt, Holger, Bronagh, Laura, Mel)
  • how do you advertise/publicise your results (let's remember to always invite people for flashtalks)


Tuesday 26th November 2013

Agenda/Minutes

  • Advertising non-HUB courses via mailing list?
    • No. We'll add an "other events" page to the Wiki where this kind of thing can be listed; if people want to follow it, they can
  • Someone to coordinate WeihnachtsHUB [HUB8.5]?
    • Date for HUB8.5?
    • Friday 6th December; 19.00, Karlsplatz by the Virgin Mary
    • HUB caps to identify us
    • Bronagh will do badges; she will sort them out
    • Bronagh will do the poster
    • Grainne will do the mailing of people
  • Topic/dates for January HUB?
    • git again with Holger?
      • Holger is fine with this, just can't do final week in January i.e. 25-31 January 2014
      • We'll go for Thursday the week before that if possible
      • Jon will check ASAP if we can have the room then; if not, then the first Thursday after that which is possible
      • We think that's a really good idea, maybe
      • Jon, Holger, Matt will try and set up a local WiFi setup, to be tested perhaps at HITS, to share with 30 people etc., needs to be sorted by Xmas
      • Attractive part of this is that it'd be nice to be able to document/describe a setup of this kind that works
      • Fallback plan using it only locally, together with markdown
      • They need to install git before the evening, but we'll bring it on the memory sticks just in case, come early and we'll help you install it
  • Topic/dates for March HUB?
    • Tutorials Tuesday, conference starts Wednesday, lets do Tuesday evening
      • For tutorial, Aidan try and find a skype date with us and Francis via doodle
      • Ask Sean and Jim about numbers for the tutorials to help us judge how many likely to come to the HUB
      • Maybe try for the huge room, just in case
      • Jon tries booking this ASAP
    • UX tutorial previously offered by Francis?
      • Do we need WiFi for this? Aidan check with Francis
    • something else about UX?
    • something general about VizBi (crowd-sourced article on challenges, advances, etc.)? I think this is my favourite
      • Something you'd rather do after VizBi
  • Future possible HUB topic: frameworks and UI and UX for bioinformatics websites
    • Aidan will add this to the future HUB topic list, proposed by Jon
    • Jon would try and get the eye tracker from HITS for this
  • Anyone going to F1000 networking event after the EMBO publishing one?
    • Yep, maybe Grainne, Adam, Jon will join; need to sign up before
  • Interested in trying to attract more people to HUBs? How?
    • "advertise" more? where? EMBL newsletter? iAnn?
    • find more direct "contacts" in different labs/institutes to personally encourage people to join
    • topic choice/selection?
    • Mass mailing?
    • People see coming to HUB as being extra work
    • Do mailing of lots of institutions again
    • Bronagh and Aidan meet ASAP to deal with mailing list stuff
    • Matt put up posters around the Mensa
    • We'll organise a meeting in January to brainstorm about this
  • Advertise the planning meetings, once they've been decided by us about via Doodle, we can mail the HUB mailing list
    • Yes, we'll do that in the future